Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Honey and Carpenter bees feast

Honey bees and Carpenter bees feast on Broccoli flowers in my garden today. The honey bees seemed pretty calm so I don't thing they are killer bees. Did you know that plants change the electrical field around their flowers when they "sense" honey bees. This gives the bees a special invite to come and feed. It is very subtle. It is time to take out my large format camera. The Arugula is flowering too.


 

Sting me Sting me just one more time.
LOL
Here is another reason to celebrate diversity and to live in harmony with bees!
Current research show the melittin destroys some viruses and malignant tumor cells
Melittin is a powerful toxin found ...in bee venom. It can poke holes in the protective viral envelope that surrounds the human immunodeficiency virus, as well as other viruses. Free melittin in large-enough quantities can cause considerable damage.